- 1 ½ cups self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sultanas
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- ½ cup low fat milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Approx 30-40 min. Serves 4 people
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Lightly grease a 12-hole muffin tin with margarine.
- In a large bowl mix flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, sultanas and grated apple.
- In a smaller bowl mix margarine, milk and egg with a fork until well combined.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and gently stir until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased muffin tin and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes. When golden brown, check with a skewer and remove from oven if skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool, eat when warm or keep for later.
- Sunflower and canola oil are good substitutes for margarine.
- Use wholemeal flour to boost fibre content.
- Sprinkle top with rolled oats, cinnamon and sugar before cooking.
Family Eating Tip
- Muffins can be frozen and used as a lunchbox treat.
- Swap cakes and biscuits for raisin toast, crumpets, low fat muffins, pancakes and pikelets.